In the hands of time

Have you ever thought about how we change with time? We all kind of know we change, with time but we often never realize how much we change. Our priorities, our likes, our dislikes, our friends, our hobbies, our favorites all change, slowly but surely.

Sometimes, we feel better if we assume we are the same as we were years ago. But the truth is far from it. We all change with time. At times it is scary to think that you will not be the same person you were a few months/years back. But it is the change that makes us more human. Some changes are society-influenced and some are very personal. Some changes we force upon ourselves to fit into what we see ourselves us and some changes just happen. Some changes are for the good and some for the bad.

This isn't an earth-shattering discovery or something I never knew before. But it is one of those smaller things in life that we never pause to think about. I am sure there are many a research on this topic done. But as an individual we never pause to think about the changes in our lives and its impacts on us and others.

So here is a simple exercise, V does to keep track of her personal changes. It takes 5 minutes every month. Start a list, on paper, your computer or on Google documents (like she did) with the following sub-titles.
  • Things you want to learn before you die
  • Places you want to visit before you die
  • Your favorites - books, music, food, colors, friends.
  • Your biggest fears
  • Your biggest dreams/hopes

Fill in your answers every month and see yourself change.


We change drastically and most of these changes are linked with small incidences that are registered strongly in our sub-conscious. Some of them are really stupid and dumb. But that makes us more human, normal with flaws. It also gives sometime to think about what we really want out of life and not just run the rat race.


We are but players in the hands of time......


2 Comments:

Arpana said...

Hey i agree.. I dont know if it happens every month (my favourite food does change frequently though hehehhe!!) but I will say I have changed at each stage of life.. when I joined college,when I left college, when I joined Tata's , when I came to Rolla and few months after coming to Rolla. It is so true and I have realised it in my behaviour. I think we adapt to the people around us. Mind goes to tit for tat mode most of times. In the event of these changes, I feel I have lost my foolish innocence...:)

Anonymous said...

Change is perhaps the only constant in life. I agree with your post.. starting fro the most trivial to the big ones, we change with time.. It is sometimes difficult to accept-but I guess we don't have much of a choice!